Accident attorney riverside ca - Car accidents are a common occurrence in the city and county of Riverside. Unfortunately, every day, someone in our community is injured in a car crash due to preventable causes. These victims are not just numbers, but rather our friends, neighbors, and loved ones. When they are injured in a car accident, they are entitled to and deserve compensation.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF CAR ACCIDENTS IN RIVERSIDE?
There are several common causes of car accidents in Riverside, California and elsewhere. Some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents in Riverside and around the country. Distractions can come in many forms, including texting while driving, talking on the phone, eating or drinking while driving, and more.
- Drunk driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol is a major cause of car accidents in Riverside and across the United States. Alcohol impairs a driver's judgment, reaction time, and ability to operate a vehicle safely.
- Speeding: Excessive speed is a major contributing factor in many car accidents. When a driver is going too fast, they may have difficulty controlling the vehicle and may be unable to stop in time to avoid an accident.
- Poor weather conditions: Inclement weather can make driving more dangerous, and can lead to car accidents in Riverside and elsewhere. Snow, ice, rain, and fog can all make it more difficult to see and can cause roads to be slippery, making it harder to control a vehicle.
- Reckless or aggressive driving: Drivers who engage in reckless or aggressive behaviors, such as tailgating, failing to signal when changing lanes, and running stop signs or red lights, are more likely to be involved in car accidents.
- Vehicle malfunctions: Sometimes, car accidents are caused by problems with the vehicle itself, such as faulty brakes or tires. In these cases, the driver may not be at fault, but the accident may still occur.
It's important to be aware of these common causes of car accidents and to take steps to avoid them whenever possible. This includes driving defensively, paying attention to the road, and avoiding distractions while driving.
COMMON INJURIES RESULTING FROM A CAR CRASH
There are many different types of injuries that can result from a car accident, and the specific injuries that a person may sustain will depend on a variety of factors, including the severity of the accident, the type of vehicles involved, and the position of the person in the vehicle. Some common injuries that may result from a car accident include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when the head is suddenly and violently jerked forward and backward. It can cause pain, stiffness, and difficulty moving the neck.
- Fractures: Fractures, or broken bones, can occur in car accidents if a person is struck by a vehicle or if a person is thrown from the vehicle. Fractures can be painful and may require medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Head injuries: Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries, can occur in car accidents if a person's head strikes an object or if the head is violently jolted. Head injuries can range in severity and may cause a variety of symptoms, including dizziness, headaches, and difficulty with memory and concentration.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries can occur in car accidents if the spine is damaged. These injuries can be particularly serious and may cause paralysis or other permanent disabilities.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries, such as strains and sprains, can occur in car accidents if the muscles, ligaments, or tendons are stretched or torn. These injuries may cause pain and difficulty moving the affected area.
It's important to seek medical attention after a car accident, even if you don't think you are seriously injured. Some injuries, such as head injuries and spinal cord injuries, may not be immediately apparent, and it's important to get a thorough evaluation to ensure that you receive the appropriate treatment.
COMPARATIVE FAULT UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW
Car accidents can be complex, and it's not always clear who is at fault. In some cases, both parties may be partially to blame for the accident, and in other cases, it may be difficult to determine exactly who caused the crash. If you have been injured in a car accident, it's important to seek legal representation from an experienced Riverside car accident lawyer.
In California, the legal doctrine of comparative negligence applies in car accident cases. This means that even if you are found to be more than 50% at fault for the accident, you can still recover damages from the other party involved. This is known as a "pure" comparative negligence jurisdiction. It's important to have an experienced lawyer on your side to help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights.
GETTING THE COMPENSATION THAT YOU DESERVE
One important aspect of a car accident claim is determining the value of the injuries sustained. A Riverside car accident lawyer can help you assess the full extent of your injuries and determine how much compensation you may be entitled to. While it may not be possible to give an exact amount, a skilled lawyer will work to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible for the injuries you have suffered. It's important to have an experienced lawyer on your side to advocate for your rights and help you get the compensation you deserve.
There are various types of damages that you may be entitled to if you have been injured in a car accident. These damages can be divided into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages are those that can be quantified in monetary terms and may include:
- Medical bills: You may be able to recover the cost of medical treatment you received as a result of the car accident. This may include hospital bills, doctor's visits, prescription medications, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If you were unable to work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover the wages you lost as a result.
- Property damage: If your vehicle or other property was damaged in the accident, you may be able to recover the cost of repairs or replacement.
- Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify and may include:
- Pain and suffering: You may be able to recover damages for the physical pain and emotional suffering you experienced as a result of the accident.
- Loss of consortium: If your injuries have caused a loss of companionship or intimacy with your spouse, you may be able to recover damages for this loss.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If your injuries have prevented you from participating in activities that you enjoyed before the accident, you may be able to recover damages for this loss.
It's important to work with an experienced Riverside car accident lawyer to determine the specific damages you may be entitled to based on the facts of your case.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO AFTER A RIVERSIDE CAR ACCIDENT
If you are involved in a car accident in Riverside, California, it's important to take the following steps:
- Check for injuries: The first priority after a car accident is to assess whether anyone has been injured. If anyone is injured, call 911 for medical assistance.
- Call the police: Even if the accident is minor and no one is injured, it's important to call the police to report the accident. The police will create a report that may be useful in your insurance claim.
- Exchange information: Exchange information with the other driver, including insurance information and contact information.
- Take photos: Use your phone to take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to the vehicles and any injuries you or others may have sustained.
- Contact your insurance company: Inform your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible. Follow their instructions and provide any requested information.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you don't think you are seriously injured, it's important to seek medical attention after a car accident. Some injuries, such as head injuries and spinal cord injuries, may not be immediately apparent, and it's important to get a thorough evaluation to ensure that you receive the appropriate treatment.
- Consult with a lawyer: If you have been injured in a car accident, it's important to consult with a Riverside car accident lawyer to protect your legal rights and ensure that you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to.
By following these steps, you can help protect yourself and your rights after a car accident in Riverside.