Houston trucking accident attorney - Accidents involving commercial trucks can be particularly deadly for drivers of smaller vehicles such as cars, vans, or pickups. The large size and weight of these trucks make them dangerous to all other drivers on the road. When a truck driver is fatigued, aggressive, or fails to follow safety regulations, they put innocent people at risk. In the Houston area, there have been many serious or fatal truck accidents in recent years, with 427 fatal crashes involving trucks reported in a single year.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a trucking accident, it is crucial to seek the representation of a skilled Houston truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. These cases can be complex, with multiple parties potentially liable, including the driver, the trucking company, the maintenance company, the truck manufacturer, or parts manufacturer. Proper management of your case can have a significant impact on the final outcome and the value of any settlement or jury award.
Truck Accident Injury Claims
Truck accidents can be catastrophic due to the size and weight of semi-trailers and tractor-trailers. While trucks are a necessary mode of transportation for many products, it is important to be aware of the potential risks of driving near them. In Houston and throughout Texas, truck accidents can occur due to preventable negligence on the part of the truck driver or the insurance company they work for. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a truck accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your damages. However, insurance companies may not always be willing to provide fair compensation, and it can be challenging to get the full amount you deserve on your own.
It is important that those who cause catastrophic injuries to accident victims through motorcycle accidents, car crashes, or truck collisions be held accountable for their actions. These types of injuries can significantly impact a person's ability to work and enjoy leisure activities on a daily basis.
Common Causes of Houston Truck Accidents
There are several common causes of truck accidents in Houston, including:
- Driver fatigue: Truck drivers may be at an increased risk of causing an accident due to long hours on the road, which can lead to drowsy or fatigued driving.
- Distracted driving: Like all drivers, truck drivers can be distracted by a variety of factors, including texting, eating, or using a navigation system while behind the wheel.
- Drunk driving: Alcohol impairment is a leading cause of truck accidents, as it can significantly impair a driver's judgment and reaction times.
- Improperly loaded cargo/overloading: If a truck is overloaded or its cargo is not properly secured, it can cause the truck to be unstable and more prone to accidents.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: Neglecting maintenance and repairs can lead to mechanical failures or other issues that can cause a truck accident.
- Poor driver inexperience: Inexperienced drivers may lack the skills and knowledge to handle a large commercial truck safely.
- Speeding: Excessive speed is a leading cause of accidents for all types of vehicles, including trucks.
- Drowsy driving: In violation of federal motor carrier safety regulations, drowsy driving can be a serious hazard for truck drivers.
- Aggressive driving: Engaging in aggressive behaviors, such as tailgating or failing to yield, can increase the risk of a truck accident.
- Failure to keep a lookout: Failing to check mirrors and blind spots can lead to accidents caused by a truck driver's lack of awareness of their surroundings.
- Drug or alcohol impairment: The use of drugs or alcohol, including prescription medication, can impair a driver's ability to operate a truck safely.
- Defective trucks, tires, or parts: If a truck or its components are defective, it can increase the risk of an accident.
- Mechanical failure: Mechanical issues with a truck can lead to an accident if not addressed promptly.
- Poor weather: Inclement weather can be a factor in truck accidents, particularly if a driver is not prepared to handle the conditions.
- Poor road conditions: Potholes, debris, or other road hazards can contribute to truck accidents.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
- Head injuries: These can range from mild concussions to more severe traumatic brain injuries, which can have long-term effects on cognition and mobility.
- Spinal cord injuries: These types of injuries can cause paralysis and permanent disability.
- Broken bones: Accidents involving large commercial trucks can result in fractures to various bones in the body.
- Internal injuries: Accidents can cause damage to internal organs, which can be serious or even life-threatening.
- Lacerations and abrasions: Accidents can cause cuts and scrapes to the skin, which may require stitches or other medical attention.
- Psychological injuries: Accidents can also cause emotional and psychological trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression.
- Wrongful death: In some cases, truck accidents can result in fatalities. If a loved one has been killed in a truck accident, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
If you are involved in a truck accident, it is important to take the following steps to protect your health and your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention: Even if you do not think you are seriously injured, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible after a truck accident. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, and it is important to document any injuries you sustained in the accident.
- Collect evidence: If possible, take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to your vehicle and the truck, as well as any injuries you sustained. It is also a good idea to get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Report the accident: If the accident caused injuries, property damage, or fatalities, it is important to report it to the authorities. In some cases, you may also need to report the accident to your insurance company.
- Get a copy of the police report: The police report will contain important information about the accident, including the names of any parties involved and any citations that were issued.
- Keep track of your damages: Keep track of any expenses you incur as a result of the accident, including medical bills, property damage, and lost wages.
- Consult with an attorney: It is a good idea to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer to discuss your legal options and to determine if you have a valid claim for compensation.
How Houston Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help Your Truck Accident Case
If you have been involved in a truck accident, it is important to consult with a lawyer who has experience handling these types of cases. A lawyer in Houston who specializes in truck accidents can help you seek damages for injuries and lost wages resulting from the accident. They may also be able to negotiate on your behalf for additional compensation, such as punitive damages or awards for pain and suffering, if your case goes to trial.
Why Do I Need a Houston Truck Accident Lawyer?
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, the aftermath can be challenging. Victims may face long periods of rehabilitation for severe injuries, high medical bills, lost wages due to missed work, and financial struggles. Truck accidents can result in severe injuries or even death, as the weight and size of tractor-trailers make them more destructive than standard car accidents. Injuries sustained in a truck accident can leave victims permanently disabled, in persistent pain, or both. Seeking justice through a truck accident lawsuit can help hold commercial trucking companies and truck drivers accountable, as well as ensure that they follow safety regulations. To improve the chances of your claim being taken seriously, it is advisable to work with an experienced truck accident lawyer in Houston.
How Long Does it Takes to Settle Houston Truck Accident Cases?
The settlement process for a truck accident claim can vary significantly in terms of duration, with some cases taking just a few months while others may take over a year to resolve. The severity of injuries and property damage are often major factors that can impact the length of the case. For instance, it may be more difficult to assess the value of serious injuries such as traumatic brain injuries compared to less severe injuries like whiplash.
Semi truck accidents may also take longer to resolve due to the complexity of the case. These types of accidents often involve multiple lines of insurance, as the truck and trailer are typically owned by different trucking companies and insured by separate carriers.
In cases where a commercial or company vehicle is involved in a truck accident, the truck driver and the trucking company may be held liable for any injuries that occur. This is because trucking companies are generally responsible for the actions of their employees.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Houston Truck Accident Case?
In a truck accident case in Houston, you may be able to recover damages for a variety of losses that you have suffered as a result of the accident. This may include:
- Medical expenses: You may be able to recover damages for any medical treatment or rehabilitation that you have received as a result of the accident, including hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If you have missed work as a result of the accident, you may be able to recover damages for the wages you would have earned during this time.
- Pain and suffering: You may be able to recover damages for the physical and emotional pain and suffering that you have experienced as a result of the accident.
- Property damage: If the accident resulted in damage to your vehicle or other personal property, you may be able to recover damages for these losses.
- Loss of consortium: If the accident has affected your relationship with your spouse, you may be able to recover damages for the loss of consortium.
- Wrongful death: If the accident resulted in the death of a loved one, you may be able to recover damages for the loss of their companionship, support, and income.
It is important to note that the specific damages that may be available to you will depend on the specifics of your case and the laws in your state. It is recommended that you speak with an experienced truck accident attorney to determine the damages that may be available to you in your case.
How Dangerous are Houston Trucking Accidents?
Trucking accidents can be particularly dangerous due to the size and weight of the vehicles involved. Trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, while the average passenger vehicle weighs around 3,000 pounds. This significant size difference can lead to much more severe injuries and damage in the event of an accident.
In Houston, trucking accidents can also be dangerous due to the volume of truck traffic on the roads. Houston is a major transportation hub and has a large number of trucking companies operating in the area, which can increase the risk of accidents.
If you have been involved in a trucking accident in Houston, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible and to speak with an experienced truck accident attorney to understand your legal options.