The focus of this article is to guide you in choosing the top home warranty company choice home warranty for your needs. Home warranties have gained popularity in recent times, as they help homeowners find peace of mind and protect their budgets from unexpected repair costs.
It can be a daunting task to choose the right home warranty companys, especially with so many options available in the market. Hence, we have prepared a comprehensive guide to assist you in making an informed decision while selecting a home warranty company.
What Is A Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a service contract that covers the repair or replacement of major home appliances and systems such as heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical, and kitchen appliances. Homeowners pay an annual fee, and in return, the warranty company agrees to cover the cost of repairs or replacements of covered items that fail due to normal wear and tear. Home warranties offer homeowners peace of mind by providing protection against unexpected repair costs and can help them save money in the long run.
Why Do You Need A Home Warranty?
A home warranty offers numerous benefits that can help homeowners avoid unexpected expenses, enjoy peace of mind, increase home value, and save costs. Firstly, it can protect homeowners from the high costs of repairs and replacements for appliances and systems covered by the warranty. If something goes wrong with a covered item, the homeowner won't be fully responsible for the expenses. Secondly, it provides peace of mind, especially for those living in older homes or with aging appliances. A home warranty ensures that homeowners have added protection and can avoid worrying about potential future expenses. Thirdly, it can increase home value by making the property more attractive to potential buyers who value added protection and peace of mind. Finally, it can save homeowners money by paying a monthly or annual fee for coverage, rather than paying for costly repairs out of pocket.
What to Look For In a Top Home Warranty Company
When selecting a top home warranty company, it's important to consider several factors to ensure that you get the best coverage and service. Here are some key things to look for:
- Coverage: A top home warranty company should offer comprehensive coverage for a wide range of home systems and appliances. Make sure to read the company's coverage details carefully to see what is and isn't covered.
- Reputation: Look for a company with a good reputation in the industry. Check online reviews and ratings from other customers to get an idea of their experience with the company.
- Pricing: The company's pricing should be competitive and transparent. Make sure to understand the cost of the plan, including any deductibles or service fees.
- Customer Service: A top home warranty company should have a responsive and helpful customer service team. Look for a company that offers 24/7 customer support and has experienced representatives who can answer your questions and help you file a claim.
- Claim Processing: The company should have a fast and efficient claims process. Check how long it typically takes for them to respond to a claim and how quickly they can get a technician out to your home.
- Contractor Network: The company should work with a network of qualified and licensed contractors. Look for a company that pre-screens its contractors and ensures they have the necessary skills and expertise to handle repairs and replacements.
By considering these factors, you can find a top home warranty company that provides reliable coverage and excellent service.
How To Compare Home Waranty Companies?
When comparing home waranty companies, it's important to consider the following factors:
- Coverage: Review the coverage offered by each company to ensure that it includes the systems and appliances you want to be covered. Look for specific details about what is covered and what is excluded.
- Cost: Compare the cost of the home warranty plans from different companies. Look for annual fees, deductibles, and service call fees. Make sure to consider the cost of the warranty over the long-term, as some companies may offer lower annual fees but higher service call fees.
- Reputation: Research the reputation of each company by reading customer reviews and ratings. Look for any red flags or negative feedback that may indicate poor service or customer satisfaction.
- Contractor network: Find out if the company has a network of licensed and qualified contractors in your area. A good contractor network ensures that you will receive timely and quality service when you need it.
- Claims process: Review the company's claims process to ensure that it is simple and easy to navigate. Find out how quickly claims are processed and how long it takes for repairs or replacements to be completed.
- Additional benefits: Look for any additional benefits offered by the company, such as 24/7 customer service, emergency assistance, or discounts on additional services.
By considering these factors and comparing the offerings of different home warrenty companies, you can choose the one that best meets your needs and provides you with peace of mind.
Top Home Warranty Companies
The home warranty industry has several top companies, including:
- American Home Shield: Being one of the largest and most well-known home warranty companies in the industry, American Home Shield offers various coverage options with competitive pricing. They are known for their responsive customer service and efficient claims process.
- Choice Home Warranty: This is a popular choice among homeowners, providing coverage options for both appliances and systems. Choice Home Warranty is known for its competitive pricing and customer-focused approach, and previous customers have given positive reviews.
- First American Home Warranty: First American Home Warranty is a subsidiary of the well-known First American financial services company. They provide comprehensive coverage options with competitive pricing and a commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Home Warranty of America: Home Warranty of America offers a range of coverage options with competitive pricing, and has a solid reputation for customer service. Past customers have given positive reviews about their experience.
- Total Home Protection: Though a newer company, Total Home Protection has made a strong impact in the industry. They provide a range of coverage options with competitive pricing and have a commitment to customer satisfaction.
Why Choose Choice Home Warranty?
Choice Home Warranty is a popular home warranty provider that offers comprehensive coverage for various home systems and appliances. Here are some reasons why you might choose Choice Home Warranty:
- Extensive Coverage: Choice Home Warranty covers a wide range of home systems and appliances, including air conditioning systems, heating systems, electrical systems, plumbing systems, water heaters, and many more.
- Affordable Pricing: The company's pricing is competitive and affordable, with plans starting as low as $36 per month. Plus, they offer a range of payment options to fit your budget.
- 24/7 Customer Support: Choice Home Warranty provides round-the-clock customer support, including weekends and holidays. You can easily file a claim online or by phone at any time, and their team of experienced representatives is always ready to assist you.
- Fast Claim Processing: The company claims to process claims quickly and efficiently, with an average response time of four hours. This means you won't have to wait long for repairs or replacements.
- Experienced Technicians: Choice Home Warranty works with a network of pre-screened and qualified technicians who are licensed and insured. This ensures that you receive high-quality repairs and replacements for your covered systems and appliances.
Overall, Choice Home Warranty can be an excellent choice for homeowners who want comprehensive coverage and reliable service at an affordable price.
Home Warranty Plan Covers
Home warranty coverage typically provides protection for the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Here are some examples of what a typical home warranty plan might cover:
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems
- Electrical systems and wiring
- Plumbing systems and fixtures
- Water heaters
- Appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers, and ovens
- Garbage disposals and trash compactors
- Ceiling fans and exhaust fans
- Garage door openers
- Pool and spa equipment (optional add-on coverage)
Understanding the concept of home warranty is an important first step before delving into researching companies. Essentially, a home warranty provides coverage for the repair and replacement of major mechanical and electrical systems, such as plumbing, air conditioning, and garage doors.
It's important to note that a home warranty differs significantly from health insurance, as it only covers the repair or replacement of items that have worn or torn due to normal use. It cannot be used to claim on any issues that may arise.
It's also important to keep in mind that home warranty coverage is not a substitute for home insurance, which provides protection against disasters such as fires, floods, or theft. Instead, home warranty coverage is a complementary package that, when combined with home insurance, can help protect homeowners from unexpected expenses.
What does the home warranty cover?
A home warranty typically covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. This may include items such as plumbing systems, electrical systems, heating and cooling systems, water heaters, refrigerators, ovens, and other major household appliances. However, it's important to note that coverage can vary depending on the specific plan and provider. Some home warranty companies may offer additional coverage options for items such as pool and spa equipment, well pumps, and septic systems, for an additional fee.
After compiling a list of potential companies to obtain a contract from, it is important to consider how their coverage aligns with your specific needs. This is made easier by having already identified what you want to be covered in the second step.
Some important items to consider including are well-maintained appliances that are approaching the end of their lifespan, costly items to repair or replace such as HVAC systems, and items that are essential for comfortable home living.
It should be noted that coverage specifics will vary between companies. However, most home warranty companies cover major components in your home such as plumbing systems, heating and cooling systems, electrical and water heater appliances.
Additional coverage options may be available on basis depending on the chosen company. It is important to remember that these warranties only cover mechanical components and not structural parts of the home. Structural and foundation coverage is typically provided by home insurance.
After determining what you want covered for repair or replacement, review the various home warranty contracts and take note of the items covered. It is also important to inquire about coverage specifics such as what types of plumbing system issues are covered and whether the coverage applies only within the home perimeter.
What A Home Warranty Plan Does Not Cover
A home warranty plan typically covers repairs or replacements for a home's major systems and appliances, but there are some things that are typically not covered. These may include:
- Pre-existing conditions: A home warranty plan does not cover any pre-existing conditions or issues that were known before the contract began.
- Negligence or improper maintenance: Any damage caused by negligence or improper maintenance is not covered by a home warranty plan. For example, if a homeowner fails to clean the air conditioning filter regularly and it breaks down, the repair or replacement may not be covered.
- Cosmetic damage: A home warranty plan does not cover cosmetic damage to appliances or systems, such as scratches or dents.
- Acts of nature: Damage caused by acts of nature, such as flooding or earthquakes, is typically not covered by a home warranty plan.
- Non-covered items: Some items may not be covered by a home warranty plan, depending on the company and plan. For example, some plans may not cover certain types of appliances or systems.
What are the limits and exclusions of the cover?
The first thing to understand when considering a home warranty is the concept of limits and exclusions. Limits refer to the maximum monetary amount that a home warranty company will pay for the repair or replacement of a system or appliance. On the other hand, exclusions are specific parts or situations that the warranty will not cover.
It is important to note that during the claims process, all warranty companies will exclude any items listed as exclusions and adhere to the monetary limitations outlined in the contract. Some companies have specific limits for certain items in your home, while others have a general limit for all repairs and replacements.
When choosing a home warranty company, it is crucial to be aware of their exclusions and limitations, as this will help you determine which company is best suited for your needs. If you know what items or systems in your home may require expensive repairs or replacements, it is important to select a company with higher limits for those items.
Cost Of A Home Warranty
The cost of a home warranty can vary depending on several factors, such as the level of coverage, the size of the home, and the location. On average, a basic home warranty plan can cost around $300 to $600 per year, while a more comprehensive plan can cost upwards of $800 to $1,500 per year. In addition to the annual premium, there may be a service call fee, which typically ranges from $50 to $150 per visit, depending on the company and the type of repair needed. It is important to note that while a home warranty can provide financial protection against unexpected repairs and replacements, it is not a substitute for homeowners insurance, which covers damages from events such as natural disasters, theft, and vandalism.
Home Warranty Companys
As previously mentioned, selecting the right home warranty companys is essential to ensure timely and efficient claim delivery. However, with the growing number of home warranty companies in the market, it's crucial to exercise caution in choosing the right firm. There's no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to selecting a home warranty companys.
Just like with any other investment, it's important to find the best company that offers excellent services. Here are some questions to ask and steps to follow when searching for the right home warranty service provider.
Do you need it?
When considering purchasing a home service contract, it's important to determine whether or not you actually need it. There are several questions you can ask yourself to make this decision.
Firstly, is the home you intend to cover brand new? If it is, you may not need a home warranty, as most newly purchased appliances and systems typically come with a manufacturer's warranty.
Secondly, are you looking to cover all of your appliances? If the answer is no, then a home warranty may not be necessary. However, if you do intend to cover all of your appliances, the next question to ask is whether they are still under warranty from the retailer or any other service contract.
If your appliances are still under warranty, you may not need a home warranty at this time. It's best to wait until the appliances are no longer covered before seeking a home warranty. Conversely, if your appliances and systems are old, a home warranty may be a wise investment.
How much coverage do you need?
Identifying your livable square footage and the value of the items you want to cover is a crucial step before beginning your search for a home warranty company. Having this information beforehand will enable you to obtain the most appropriate price and coverage quote from the company.
It's important to avoid going with a generic price or cover quote, as this may negatively impact your compensation claims in the future. Additionally, it's wise to avoid purchasing everything entirely online. Instead, consider speaking to the company's representative to confirm that the contract you're purchasing is the right fit for your needs.
Does the company cover your area?
Your place of residence is an important consideration when selecting a home warranty company. Whether you live in a densely populated or sparsely populated area can impact the availability of service technicians. This, in turn, affects how the company will cover your home.
To save time and avoid frustration, it's important to determine if the company covers your area before examining its coverage and price quotes. Otherwise, you may end up wasting time with distant companies that are difficult to consult and slow to intervene in your claim. The best way to check this is through a simple Google search.
What is the state of your appliances and systems?
Before entering into a contract with a home warranty company, it's crucial to assess the condition of your property. It's important to note that no company provides coverage for items that were already broken before the contract's inception.
Additionally, most home warranty companies have exclusions and limits to their contracts. This applies if the appliances and systems covered are not well-maintained. Some companies may require you to submit periodic maintenance reports or proof that the item in your claim was not poorly maintained or improperly repaired. This ensures that the item was not neglected and increases the likelihood of your claim being accepted.
Read reviews and contracts carefully
In addition to understanding the exclusions and fine print mentioned above, it's important to check the reviews of the home warranty company. Don't purchase a home warranty without reading reputable customer reviews, which can usually be found on the company's website.
However, when checking reviews, be cautious. Some websites may rank companies based on the amount paid by the companies for high ranks. Look for trustworthy and reputable websites.
Also, check the individual company websites for reviews and references from their previous clients. Additionally, search various sites and compare and contrast the information to make an informed decision.
What is the price of the home warranty?
The majority of home warranties are annual contracts, meaning that the premiums paid are for the entire year. There are two key components to the pricing of a home warranty. The first is the yearly premium, which provides coverage for the full term of the contract.
The second is the service call fee, a fee paid to the service provider dispatched by the home warranty company to diagnose the issue with your malfunctioning appliance or item. These fees are usually less than one hundred dollars.
When selecting a home warranty companys, it is essential to inquire about these costs in order to determine which company is the best fit for you. It is important to note that lower yearly premiums typically mean less coverage, lower monetary limits, and higher service call fees. Be meticulous and pay attention to details when comparing home warranty companies.
Who are the company’s contractors?
Once you file a claim, the home warranty company dispatches its contracted service providers or contractors to address your claim. However, some companies may not hire the best service providers to save on cost.
Thus, it is important to ask about the qualifications of the contractors employed by different companies. Only accept the services of licensed and bonded professionals who are authorized to work in your state.
Choosing the right home warranty can provide coverage for all the essential appliances and systems in your home. The company offers unrestricted assistance during both repairs and replacements.
When searching for the best home warranty companys, ensure that the one you select saves you as the homeowner some costs. This dispels the notion that setting aside some money for such expected repairs and replacements is a less expensive option.
Selecting the best company may not be straightforward, but our guide above can provide valuable insights.